Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Card Table Dinners: Corn, Zucchini, and Green Chili Burritos

I made these last night, and they were delicious. Not to mention inexpensive, super easy, and super fast. The recipe is from the June issue of Vegetarian Times. No, I am not a vegetarian, but I do try to cook at least one meatless meal a week. I subscribed hoping to find recipes and I did. As with any other recipe I did make some adjustments based on what I had in the pantry.

Ingredients:
Canola Oil
1 small onion (sliced or diced)
1 small zucchini (diced)
2 gloves of garlic, minced (I buy the jars of minced garlic. I put garlic in everything and its a huge time saver)
1 cup fresh or frozen corn (thawed if frozen)
1/3 cup black beans
1 Tbs. diced green chiles (Mine are from the can. I'll use the rest to make pork tacos next week)
2 Tbs. chopped cilantro (I used dry and eyeballed it)
2/3 cup shredded Monterey-Jack Cheese (Used Colby-Jack because it was in the fridge)
4 Tortillas (We used fajita sized)
Queso Fresco (optional, I just happened to have some)
Lime wedges (did not use)
  1. Heat the oil over medium heat. Add your onions and your zucchini and cook about 12 minutes or until tender and onions start to brown.
  2. Stir in garlic, corn, beans, and green chiles. Cook about 5 minutes or until everything is heated through.
  3. Stir in your cilantro and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Divide mixture amongst your heated tortillas. (I heat my tortillas directly on the burners. After heating up the mixture, I turned off the burner. Then one by one I heat each side of the tortilla on the burner.) Top with the Queso fresco or other cheese. We also added reduced-fat sour cream. I used a little salsa on my first one, but found that it didn't need it. There was enough flavor in the mixture on its own.
This was such a good dish. Both Jon and I enjoyed it. Plus, you get the burrito effect without all of the calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment