Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Everybody out of the pool

From time to time when it comes to wedding stuff I get the urge to want to vomit. Not because I'm thinking about having to spend the rest of my life with a crazy Irish man, whom I adore, but because so much time, effort, and money has gone into this one single day and that any one thing can go wrong. I get the urge before opening emails from vendors especially when it has an invoice total. Like right now, I have an email from my cake vendor, but I have yet to open it. She has the total for the cake waiting for me. Last Thursday I spent an hour working with her and the decorator. Long story short, I think all of our brains ached afterwards. It was exhausting. We really weren't communicating well, and we were not on the same page about anything. She thought everything I decided would look amazing just to get me the heck out of there. But I stuck around until I was comfortable with the overall design. I felt bad because I know I'm a perfectionist and a pain in the rearend. The toughest part was trying to visualize it while designing it. I would close my eyes and try to picture it, but then she would start rambling about something and totally mess up my concentration. I then tried sketches, which helped. Once I left and was on the road I was able to actually imagine the design in the quiet of my car. I called her about 15 minutes after leaving and changed the look of the middle tier. My best advice is to bring multiple pictures of wedding cakes with you. My original design could not be done exactly like the picture because it was fondant, but we came pretty close. The other pictures helped with giving us ideas and with figuring out what the different layers would look like.

Regardless, if the cake ends up being hideous, it will still be delicious. It is a family run business with everything made from scratch in a commercial kitchen they had installed in their basement. She made Opera Cream Brownies and White cake with a Rasberry filling for us to sample a couple months ago. It was the best cake we've ever eaten (Mind you, we tried the NCH Bakery and the Northside bakery. Jon decided we should call bakeries more often and let them know we're getting married so we get free mini-cakes.) We're going with the White and Rasberry and also a White with a Chocolate filling. To save some money, I had the cake done with 3 tiers which will feed about 162 people and a sheet cake that will feed about 50. Now I just have to open the email.

No comments:

Post a Comment