Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Bad Blogger

Hello Readers. As the title states, I have been a bad blogger. Trust me, I haven't been posting because nothing has been going on. In fact, its just the opposite. I am super busy, especially with the Big Day just over 2 weeks away. I promise to catch you up on everything that I have been doing, so we may be doing the time warp dance. I have lots of events and things to share including Showers, the Bachelorette Island Escape, and other projects. Tonight, I'm just posting about the Unity Candle.

So the Unity Candle, it consists of 1 large pillar candle and 2 tapers. Whoopy doo, right? That can't cost much. Well, I have news for you, businesses make a killing on these things. I walked into Michaels and they were about $40. I checked online and the same thing. Plus, our minister requested that we use 'Dripless' tapers. Yeah, pretty sure they don't exist. So my brain (which has been cranking out some pretty creative ideas today) decided that Factory Direct Candles in Western Hills might have 'Dripless' tapers and for much less. Well, no dice on the 'Dripless', but their tapers were only $.35. (Of course all the other colors were only $.25. I guess they wanted to get in on the wedding market action too.) And I got a pillar for only $3. So far, I'm already doing pretty amazing price wise. I decide to glitz up the pillar a tad and head over to Michaels. They have rhinestone and pearl adhesives. I find a fancy one for $6 and I'm out the door.  But I then decide to also go to Hobby Lobby (once I eventually found it. I took a short tour through the Mason area). There I found an even better rhinestone and pearl adhesive and it was only $3. I also solved the 'Dripless' problem. They sell little crystal trays for $5 that hug the tapers so any wax will collect there and not on the candlesticks or floor. My Unity Candle grand total, a whopping $11.50.


The final product (on its side)

2 comments: