Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Card Table Dinners: Gun Powder and Grilled Cheese

Hello Readers! I have decided to expand my blog to include a new segment: Card Table Dinners. One of my newly discovered passions is cooking. I love bringing ingredients together to form a final, edible, delicious product. And, someone has to cook in our house. If I left it up to Jon, we would be eating chicken, veggie, rice with a rotating sauce selection. No thanks. So most nights of the week I cook and we enjoy our meal at our kitchen table, a fold-out card table. Jon never owned a kitchen table. As a bachelor, he ate at the coffee table in front of the TV. But, Valentine's day 2010 we decided to have a romantic dinner at his house. He was in charge of dinner, and I dessert. When I walked into his house that night, he had a newly bought card table set up with a red table cloth, red roses, and candles. My heart melted. It was so romantic, although a little ghetto. Still one of my favorite dates.

I didn't own a kitchen table either, so we still eat at our card table with the red table cloth.
Usually we have Meatless Mondays, but due to thawed ground chicken in the fridge it was moved to tonight. I found the recipe last night, and I must advise people to stay away from the Green/Bruckmann household for the rest of the week. I made a vegetarian chili which contained 4 cans of 4 different types of beans. Hence, Gun Powder. I planned to make corn bread muffins with it. However, those require milk which is currently out of stock at our house. So, I improvised and made something much better than cornbread. Pulling ingredients from the fridge, I made a grilled cheese with sliced fresh mozzarella, basil-pesto, and roasted red peppers. Delish!

I needed white beans for the chili, but Aldi didn't have any last night. So, I had to soak some overnight. Quite frankly, I can never get them just right. Any tips? They are just so much better out of a can. My other mishap while cooking is that for some reason I thought it required 8 cups of water. HUGE MISTAKE! Only needed 3 cups! So I proceeded to scoop out a few cups with my measuring cup. Overall, this chili is not that great. I will not be making it again. Even though I did screw it up, I don't think the ingredients worked well enough together. I posted the recipe below if you would like to give it a whirl. There we're plenty of good reviews on the website, so maybe it might tantalize your taste buds. I will be making my grilled moz-pepper sandwich again (I must admit, I did char it a tad. But oh, so still delicious). We always have pesto, red peppers, and moz in the fridge, so its an easy, quick meal.
Bringing the chili (but more like soup) to a boil.

Assembling the fancy grilled cheese.


Bon Apetit!


I hope my next installment of Card Table Dinners is much more delectable. Usually I hit them out of the park. Oh, well. Luckily Jon is a willing participant. Does anyone else serve Meatless Mondays (or Tuesdays)? What's your favorite to make?



No comments:

Post a Comment