Thursday, January 20, 2011

Lights, Camera, I Do

Hello few and faithful readers! I apologize for my absence. Between the holidays, being under the weather, and the start of a new (and my final!) quarter at UC, life has been a little hectic. I did manage to check one more thing off my list: The videographer. Jon thinks we don't need one, but like I said in my last post: I can't remember anything when the emotions and adrenaline are running full throttle. Plus, how fun would it be on September 10, 2041 to cuddle up with my hubby of 30 years and watch us recite our vows when gravity has yet to take its toll on our bodies!

So I started my search a little while ago. My first stop: Craigslist. Craig's friends are my friends. Why? Because they are smart enough to not pay for advertising. That is one less cost that is passed onto me. During my research I saw prices into the thousands. No way did that even come close to being in my budget, so I was super happy to find a guy for $500. There was another guy for $300, but unfortunately he was already booked for my date. So I went for the next cheapest. I set up a meeting with Tyler at a Starbucks. **The best advice I can give anyone when meeting with someone from Craigslist is to do it in a public space. Not a parking lot, but inside a building.** Just last night on the 11 o'clock news, there was a story about a man getting mugged at gun point during a Craigslist deal.

Anyways, back to the happy stuff. Tyler is in school for video and this is his way of building a portfolio and earning a little extra mula. He told me how he won 6 of 11 awards for a competition he entered through school. He wrote, directed, and shot the winning short film. He also posted videos of previous weddings he shot on You Tube. I had watched the videos before meeting him and after talking to him, I was very impressed. All I wanted was someone to shoot the ceremony, but he is going above and beyond simple. Tyler is going to shoot in HD video. He is bringing a buddy to help capture all of the craziness. And, wait for it, they will be there all day! From getting ready, to the photos, to the ceremony, and finally the reception. This is an exceptional deal! I dare anyone to find a better videographer!

Love to hear about your video adventures!

3 comments:

  1. Can't beat the young spirit of these fresh out of college kids. I wish everyone worked that hard for that cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you found a great deal. Tyler sounds like the right guy for the job! I LOVE Craig's List! I'm probably too trusting. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete